As year end quickly approaches – it is time to start making plans for 2013! I am talking about a written business plan to support the attaining of your personal goals. The stories highlighting the importance of a good business plan are many but I won’t attempt to do it here.
I’m asked from time to time about our market. While we can succumb to the media’s interpretation of the events, I would rather focus instead on some positives:
- We continue to have attractive interest rates – albeit not at historic lows, still very attractive!
- Our local economy is still strong – just try to secure a contractor for work.
- Vancouver and it surrounding communities are still sought by people throughout the world as an ideal place to live.
- Real estate continue to be a valid cornerstone to building financial security.
- After years of a very active market in terms of price increases and volume, an adjustment period is normal and welcomed.
That said, real estate is a contact sport – one which requires us to be in touch with people and never was that more important than at times like this. There are no quick fixes to lead generation.
- Find the lead
- Work the lead
- Close the sale
- Cultivate the relationship for future referrals.
Some ideas to keep in mind:
Focus on your goals as a way to keep on track and positive. Stick to the business plan you laid out for yourself.
Stick to a structure – In our business, it is too easy to be distracted by non-productive events.
- Get in the habit of starting at a particular time (noon might not be ideal).
- Taking breaks during the course of the day will help keep your energy up.
- While we all need lunch breaks, they don’t need to be for 2 hours – and why not take the time with a past client for lunch.
- Working the sale – set time aside to deal with the follow up elements for your sales, but don’t allow it to consume your day
- Make sure your day includes uninterrupted time for the family
- Block time for lead generation – remember real estate sales is a contact sport.
I’ve asked our REALTOR®s to consider turning off the TV (News…) stop reading the papers. Fill you mind with positive information vs. the baggage which fills the media today. The list of quality books is endless. Your office may have a library already of such book or VHF, DVD etc. for your use. Take advantage of it.
Take action – whatever you decide to do, it does not have to be perfect, Nike says it best – Just do it!